Food and Drug Administration has confirmed that the ingredients of Dakasi milk tea that killed 1 person and hospitalized 60 more last September 24 and 25, 2013 was indeed contaminated by bacteria.
Dr. Kenneth Hartigan-Go, acting Director General of FDA, said that the microbial contamination was due to ‘mishandling of the raw ingredients.’
“The importation of such raw ingredients require registration by a licensed importer distributor prior distribution and use by this type of establishments,” he added.
ABS-CBN also specified in its report that the 17 ingredients used by the Dakasi Tea House tested positive for E. coli, coliform, salmonella, and molds and yeast.
Here’s the lab results as forwarded to DOH-CHD 6 in Mandurriao:
Marlyn Convocar,MD, MPH, CESO IV
Center for Health Development Western Visayas
Mandurriao, Iloilo City
The FDA Central Lab results of analysis have been submitted for the samples collected from Teastars Food Corporation (Iloilo Ayala Technohub) and Triple C&J Food and Beverage (Vertex Bldg. Smallville Complex, San Rafael) of Mandurriao, Iloilo City, regarding food poisoning incidents. The summary of results however does not provide determine link to the reported cases. . NEVERTHELESS, THE RESULTS, PARTICULARLY THOSE THAT FAILED MICROBIAL STANDARDS INDICATE POTENTIAL MISHANDLING OF THE RAW INGREDIENTS THAT RESULTED TO MICROBIAL CONTAMINATION. Further, the importation of such raw ingredients require registration by a licensed importer distributor prior distribution and use by this type of establishments.
Kenneth Y. Hartigan-Go
Acting Director General
Dakasi Iloilo had reopened November 12 but the City government ordered its closure few days after.