Ilonggo math wizards win ‘World Star’ trophy, 24 other medals and trophies in Hongkong olympiad
Iloilo City Government recognized Ilonggo math wizards who brought home trophies from the Hong Kong International Mathematical Olympiad (HKIMO) last August 30 to September 2, 2019.
They collected a “World Star” trophy, two champion trophies, 22 medals including eight each for golds and silvers, six bronze, and two merit certificates at Ling To Primary Catholic School in Ho Man Tin, Hong Kong.
“Among the highlights of the team’s victory are special individual awards given to students who showed exemplary performance. Our young Ilonggo contestants really excelled,” HKIMO-Iloilo team leader and coordinator Dr. Stephen Jinon said.
Matthew Defensor, Grade 5 pupil of Solomon Integrated School de Iloilo, received a “World Star” trophy for being the best performer from the Philippines, and a champion trophy for being the world champion in his grade level.
Matthew is the son of Iloilo City police director, P/Col. Martin Defensor.
James Martin Young, Grade 9 student of Philippine Science High School – Western Visayas Campus, received a champion trophy for being the world champion in his grade level.
“I feel proud and honored to be one of the team leaders of Team Iloilo. We thank our supportive parents and mentors,” said Jinon.
Other countries that participated in the math tournament were Australia, Bangladesh, Bulgaria, Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Iran, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, and Ukraine.
The gold medalists were:
* Matthew Defensor – Primary 4, Solomon Integrated School de Iloilo (World Star, Champion)
* Jacques Simon Timtiman – Secondary 2, Philippine Science High School
* Julia Alessandra – Primary 6, Philippine Science High School
* Atila Vinculado – Primary 5
* Rezh Bernice Loretizo – Ateneo
* James Martin Young – Secondary 2, Philippine Science High School (Champion)
The silver medalists were:
* Frank Tyrese Casco – Primary 1, Iloilo Scholastic Academy
* Paul Montalban – Secondary 2, PAREF Westbridge
* Athena Dorothy Dagnalan – Primary 2, Hua Siong College of Iloilo
* Joana Nicole Balopenos – Primary 4, SPED-ISEC
* Joachim Santino Timtiman – Primary 6, Philippine Science High School
* Sophia Kirsten Tunguia – Primary 5, SPED-ISEC
* Dashell Sean Villanueva – Primary 6, Philippine Science High School
* Ziron John Valaquio – Secondary 1, Philippine Science High School
The bronze medalists were:
* Naomi Defensor – Kindergarten, Solomon Integrated School de Iloilo
* Matthew Limsiaco – Primary 2, PAREF Westbridge
* Gihun Yoo – Primary 4, St. Joseph School (Iloilo) Inc.
* Ma. Zoephia Valaquio – Primary 4, SPED-ISEC
* John Benedict Castro – Primary 4, St Joseph School (Iloilo) Inc.
The merit awardees were:
* Ramiex Brylle Estudillo – Secondary 3, PAREF Westbridge
* Marcus Pranga – Secondary 3, PAREF Westbridge
(via Iloilo City PIO)