Hubon Mangunguma of the municipality of San Lorenzo was declared champion of the 2017 Manggahan Festival Cultural Competition in the province of Guimaras.
Aside from the title, the Hubon Mangunguma also won several minor awards for its stellar performance in the event held last May 22, 2017 at the Food Court Area of the festival.
Hubon Mangunguma’s dance shows the different activities of “mangungumas,” from the months of work on the fields from planting, growing, harvesting, and showing gratefulness for a good harvest through a celebration.
As one of the Agricultural Baskets of the province, “panguma” is a major source of income of the municipality. Two of their major products are rice and mangoes.
The Cultural Competition is one of the highlights for the 2-week long festivities, which started May 11. A total of 5 ‘hubons’, one from each municipality of the province.
Here are the results for this year’s Cultural Competition:
Best in Streetdancing:
1st: Hubon Mangunguma of San Lorenzo
2nd: Hubon Igbantog of Nueva Valencia
3rd: Hubon Balsahan of Sibunag
- Champion: Hubon Mangunguma of San Lorenzo
- 1st Runner-Up: Hubon Igbantog of Nueva Valencia
- 2nd Runner-Up: Hubon Balsahan of Sibunag
- 3rd Runner-Up: Hubon Agsadores of Buenavista
- 4th Runner-Up: Hubon Layagan of Jordan
- Best in Performance: Hubon Mangunguma of San Lorenzo
- Best in Costume and Props: Hubon Mangunguma of San Lorenzo
- Best in Music: Hubon Mangunguma of San Lorenzo
- Best in Choreography: Hubon Mangunguma of San Lorenzo